If you'd like to use the site and help me test it, you can join here.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

What Was The Biggest Project You Ever Started (And Finished)?

It's time for some retrospection on projects, procrastination, perfectionism and the likes. So, let me start out with admitting that I used to have lots of trouble with procrastination. I'd always see the flaws and I had trouble being content with something I made. People expected a lot from me - and I was scared of disappointing them (and myself).

The biggest issue with procrastination and perfectionism seems to be the following:
  • to master any craft, you need to practice (often over years) - but when you don't dare to practice for fear of failure, you can't master the craft
Today I see the ability to see the flaws in something as an asset. And I learned - to a certain degree - to accept that what I make won't be perfect. I've also made it a habit to work on my craft every single day - even if it's just a little.

What about you? Have you ever had trouble with procrastination, putting off things to do them at a later time, or unwarranted perfectionism in general?

What was the biggest project you ever started (and finished)?

My biggest project I ever started isn't a sewing project. And I've come to terms with the fact that it will never be finished. Ravelry isn't finished - and likely won't be ever, either. Websites evolve. There's always a way to do things another iota better, there's always something useful that could be added. That's why I explicitly permit myself to let people see it before it is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment