If you'd like to use the site and help me test it, you can join here.

Monday, September 29, 2014

How Did You Learn to Distinguish the Myriads of Different Fabric Types?

I recently read an interesting blog post about fabrics at http://www.coletterie.com/fabric-haberdashery/choosing-fabric-weight-vs-drape. I'm pretty sure that what Sarai wrote in hat post is no big news to most of you. To me it was quite interesting - when you want to set up a site in such a way that we can classify fabric in a detailed enough way to get a useful search feature out of it, posts like this are very helpful.

Actually, when I read further through the comments on that post, I realized one more thing I had been struggling with: There is a myriad of different fabric types out there. While I can distinguish a few common ones, like batiste, crepe, organza, denim, I have trouble visualizing (and imagining the touch/drape/weight) the large majority of fabrics found in patterns' fabric recommendation sections.

That's when I started wondering... what if the site would aggregate information regarding these fabric types - what if you could look up what attributes the majority of fabrics of a given fabric type have? E.g. batiste is a fabric that commonly has the attributes "lightweight", "plain weave", "densely-woven" and it is often made out of cotton fiber?

How it would work... We note down the fabric type and all the attributes when we record fabrics in our virtual stash. At some point, there is enough data on the site, that a script can go through all the individual stashed fabric entries to extract information about what attributes fabrics of a given type have.

What do you think? How much time did you need to learn the ins and outs of fabric types?

1 comment:

  1. It has taken me some years to learn all the different types of fabric and I'm still learning. Take challis for example: It is a plain weave that when done with rayon and is tightly woven it feels like silk and has lots of drape. Wool and wool blend challis has drape but also body and can be steamed into shapes (pleats and such) easily. Sometimes I go to nice fabric stores or order stuff online just to see what it feels like.

    ReplyDelete